Thursday, May 22, 2008

The First 48 Hours of Freedom

Today is a new day and as far as I know, my little fledgling is enjoying his freedom. I heard him this morning, which meant he's still in the immediate area. He has a distinctive chirp - it's very high-pitched and sounds more like a "cheep".
Though I was home most of the day, I resisted the urge to go outside and call to him - until this evening. I'd been resting to try to rid myself of a nagging headache (probably caused by two of my neighbors' grass trimmers running simultaneously - those things should be banned!) and I thought I heard that high-pitched "cheep, cheep" outside the bedroom window. I cancelled my nap and went outside to see if Cheepers had come for a visit. I can't be sure I saw him because up in the sky and through the trees flew numerous groups of little birds, happily chattering to each other. One bird broke away from the others and flew low, circling a lamp post in front of my house and I wanted to believe that was Cheepers, but I don't know if it truly was him or not.
I sat on my front porch for quite awhile this evening, watching and listening. The birds all seemed so happy and it was good to think Cheepers was among them. It doesn't matter whether he comes back here to visit or not. Yesterday, I thought it did matter, but I'm now very much at peace just knowing I cared for him the best I could and he responded in a positive way. My goals to save him and eventually set him free were accomplished and are good things. A wise author and teacher (Alison Willcocks) once said, "If you love something, set it free. If it comes back to you, it's yours. If it doesn't, it never was...". The little bird I rescued was destined to be free, and now he is.

No comments: