Sunday, November 2, 2008

TO VOTE....OR NOT TO VOTE

That really shouldn't be the question. Where to vote, when to vote, and for whom to vote are the only questions we should be asking ourselves this week. This has been a very long and tiring presidential campaign. The candidates are weary and many of us are tired of hearing all the rhetoric. In some cases we've been confused and frustrated while trying to separate truth from ficton and some of us just want this to be over and done.
This year I've heard many people, including some of my own family members, say they might not vote at all since they don't know which candidates are telling the truth and which are not. That kind of statement makes me sad. This country has many problems, to be sure, but it's a privilege to live here and vote here. I believe each of us has a responsibility to listen to the candidates and read about the issues so that he or she can make the most conscientious choices possible.
I'm not as worried about who will win the election as I am about the reasons some will choose to not vote. I ask each of you to please exercise your right as an American and cast your ballot this week. What better way to show love for our country and appreciation for the privileges we enjoy? When we vote, we actually have a say about which direction we think America should go in the next four years. Please vote!

No comments: