Monday, April 6, 2009

LAYERED CHICKEN SALAD


I love using leftovers to create new suppers. I fixed oven baked chicken breasts and steamed veggies for one meal last week and had leftover chicken and uncooked broccoli and cauliflower. On the weekends, my brain shuts down. I guess it thinks weekends should be work-free. I rarely plan meals for Saturday or Sunday but we often use up leftovers or pull a pizza from the freezer, add some chopped veggies to it, and pop it in the oven.
Saturday I fixed a layered salad that we had for lunch AND dinner. I think Spouse finished it off last night. I don't make layered salad very often since the recipe makes a large amount, but I pared it down a bit. I thought it was very good (if I do say so myself). The best part was using up remnants of a head of lettuce, leftover veggies, grated cheese, and oven baked chicken instead of leaving those in the fridge and fogetting about them. Here's the recipe:


LAYERED CHICKEN SALAD
1 cup chopped cauliflower
1 cup chopped broccoli
1/2 head lettuce, cut into bite size pieces
1/3 red (purple) onion, sliced
1 cup frozen peas (run under water to thaw quickly)
1 or 2 baked chicken breasts, cubed
1 cup Miracle Whip Light or Hellman's Mayo Light
3 Tbsp. sweet and sour dressing
1 cup shredded swiss or cheddar cheese (I used a bit of both)
1/2 cup bacon bits
In large bowl, layer first 6 ingredients in the order listed. Mix Miracle Whip or Hellman's with sweet and sour dressing and spread over top of salad. Add shredded cheese and top with bacon bits. The layers look pretty in a glass bowl, but be sure to mix the salad thoroughly before serving.

No comments: