Tuesday, August 4, 2009

I KNOW THE DRILL

Yesterday was a rough day. I had a dental appointment at 8:30am to begin the process for another crown. I'm on a first-name basis with all the dental assistants, the receptionists, and with the brain-jarring drill that's used to take out those old metal fillings. I won't go into any more detail than that. I'm not afraid to face the drill and novacaine needles don't bother me one bit. They really don't. I'm usually able to relax in the chair and think of pleasant things like grandkids, kittens, rainbows, and my cabin. But....
Every time I have to get up and go to an early appointment, I wonder what possessed me to set that time in the first place. I think I do it because I like to arrive at my destination early and get things done so I can leave. I surely don't like rising that early just so I can go and have my brains rattled. Before someone else suggests it, I'll go ahead and say - I'm sometimes a bit rattle-brained anyway.
I made it through the dental visit but came away with a nagging headache and an empty wallet. When I returned home, I didn't feel like doing much of anything so I gave myself a reprieve from laundry, cooking, and almost everything else. I continued to check on the kittens and take care of the other cats, but I moved in slow motion the rest of the day. I'm due to go back in two weeks to have the permanent crown affixed. Does this ever end for those of us who grew up before the days of fluoride? My dentist has assured me I'm doing everything right. He said I simply have soft enamel. That's surprising, since I have such a hard head.

No comments: