Wednesday, September 16, 2009

THEN THERE WERE FOUR

The day I dreaded for so long finally came. The first kitten went to his forever home tonight, but it was actually a very good thing.
I received a phone call around 6pm, I think it was. The lady on the phone had seen my poster and asked about the kittens. I told her I still had all of them. She wanted one for her daughter's birthday (tomorrow) which I think is so precious. I remember asking many times for a kitten for my birthday when I was a child. I never received one but I'm so happy this little girl will. The nice lady asked for directions to my house and came to see them.
The kittens were skittering all around and would hardly be still for a second so she could hold them. I had hoped they would climb into her lap or at least go to her so she could pet them, but they were all excited because they were in a larger area than they're used to and they were very busy running around exploring. I was trying to explain their different personalities but none of them was doing what I expected him to be doing. They were having a swell time just being frisky little kittens.
We talked for a little while and she mentioned her husband liked the white one with orange spots on his ears - Bailey. Of course it would be Bailey, the cute little monkey. Earlier my spouse had told me Bailey would be the first to go since he was so unusually marked. Everybody who saw the videos seemed to fall in love with him. Someone from my doctor's office asked about Bailey yesterday. I guess he'll need to choose another one.
We talked about how kittens act, what they eat, how to guide her little one to treat Bailey gently, the vet's visits, and other pertinent things. I said goodbye to Bailey and told his new mama how very special he was to me. She has the link to this blog and I encouraged her to visit and watch the videos. When she reads about Bailey and why I was so worried about him when he was smaller, I know she'll cherish him as much as I do. I feel very sure this sweet lady and her little birthday girl will care for Bailey and love him all of his days. She took my email address and said she'd send me pictures of him. I'm looking forward to that.
I shed a few tears and let him go. I hope this gets easier.

3 comments:

Cat Nap Inn Primitives said...

OH your little Bailey is a cutie..how old is the little girl that is getting him...I worry with little kids..I hope she is a bit older so she is gentle...:)

Karen said...

Farewell, Little Bailey...off you must go to your new home. He is so adorable and the little girl will have so much fun with him.
My kids were in kindergarten and second grade when we got our first kittens 25 years ago. Two brothers from my sister's cat. They were orange and white too. They were wonderful cats and my kids adored them.

Carmen and the Primcats said...

Awwww. Hugs to you again for letting Bailey go to his Furever Home.

I too hope it gets easier for you to let them go. I work with alot of people who foster and I can say from watching... those that have that "gene"... it never seems to get easier for. Those that are able to easily let go easily... have Always been able to easily do it. I'm not one of them. I love to deeply and fall to hard, which is why I no longer foster. I can't. I sincerely admire that you are and can.