Tuesday, November 10, 2009

REST IN PEACE CHESTER

Chester was my sweet little friendly feral. I told his story in other posts but won't do it now because the tears will start again. I just had to go out tonight and once more try to find him. I loved all the little furry ones I befriended, but Chester was my special buddy.
The woods were thick with brambles and thorny branches and I received scratches to prove it, but didn't care. I needed to find Chester. At one point I stopped and stood still, prayed for guidance, then asked Chester's spirit to lead me to him. A short time later, I found him. Actually, I walked directly to him. He was lying just a few feet from the awful neighbor's backyard fence and looked as if he'd simply chosen to take a nap there.
Maybe now I'll begin to have some closure - or maybe not. During the past two weeks, I contacted the police, Humane Society, and animal rights groups, but I don't think there is anything that can be done to stop this person from abusing animals. I know there is only so much an agency can do without concrete proof and what I have to go on is a fair amount of circumstantial evidence and a sixth sense. I don't have one ounce of doubt this neighbor is the culprit, but I realize a person can't be arrested on those things alone. I'm told I need to catch him in the act and then produce a video tape. How realistic is that? He knows we're watching him and it's not likely he'll put out any more poison where people can see it.
While I continue to gather facts, I'll also try to move on and concentrate on caring for the three beautiful kittens left motherless two weeks ago. They're very sweet and beginning to respond to my touch, but they remain frightened. I haven't taken any photos of them, but I will as soon as they begin to trust me.
Kelly's kittens are growing by leaps and bounds. They're still as cute a buttons and I'm baffled as to why they've not yet been adopted. There is a three-day adoption opportunity this weekend and maybe that will prove to be good for kittens. We can only hope.

3 comments:

Cat Nap Inn Primitives said...

Oh just seeing this precious little face just makes me want to cry..He is/was precious and I am glad you found him so he can be properly put to rest..I hope you can nail this bugger to the wall..this is just horrible and I feel so bad for you and for those precious ones that died..I do hope and pray you can get your babies adopted this weekend..:)

Karen said...

What an adorable picture of Chester. I so enjoyed reading about him and the friendship you had with him. I am so sorry for your loss and for Chester too. "Rest in Peace, Chester, and know that you were well loved."

Rock River Stitches said...

Kady, I am sooo sorry for your lose of Chester. He looks so much like my kitty Bonsai. I would just totally lose it if anything happened to my Bonsai. I feel for you.

Hugs,
Tammy