Sunday, February 14, 2010

Ziggy's Wonderful, Remarkable, Not Bad, Very Good Day

We'll never be worthy of any medals, gold or otherwise, but the kitten boys and I have been participating in a cat adoption marathon of sorts with false starts and disappointments along the way. Despite some hurdles, Ziggy finished the long race and found his forever family today, or rather, they found him.
His new family has a mom, dad, and two teen children who were very excited to be taking Ziggy home. They loved everything about him - his personality, name, coloring, and big bushy tail. Mostly they loved how he lay in their arms and purred as if he was meant to be theirs.
When I arrived at the adoption center this afternoon to pick up "the boys", I was greeted by three people who excitedly told me Ziggy had been adopted. I was thrilled and sad at the same time - thrilled that he'd no longer have to share attention with so many other cats - but sad that I'd never see him again.
While the family signed the final adoption papers, I took Ziggy out of his cage and held him in my arms. As my tears fell onto his fur, he looked up as if to say, "It's ok Mom, I'm going home with the people I've been waiting for and they already love me". I hugged him then let him go.

2 comments:

Cat Nap Inn Primitives said...

I am crying reading this!!! I just wish they would have taken the both of them...so the siblings could stay together..but at least one is adopted..he is so adorable..I will miss them but I know you will more.:) great news..:)

Karen said...

I love that picture you have of Ziggy. He is so adorable. I know you will miss him so much.