Monday, April 5, 2010

I LOVE LILACS


The fragrance of lilacs blooming instantly takes me back to my elementary school days. We lived within one block of Fairmoor Elementary so we always walked to school and could go home for lunch. It's funny to think about it now, but those kids who took packed lunches often wished they could go home to eat and those of us who walked home at noon often wished we could stay at school during lunch time.
When the lilacs bloomed, my mother would go to our backyard during lunch time and pick generous bouquets and allow me to take them to my teachers, whose names are forever etched in my memory - first grade - Mrs. Grossman, second - Mrs. Williams, third - Mrs. Jacobs, fourth - Mrs. Perkins, fifth - Mrs. Berman, and sixth - Mr. Galvach. The teachers always seemed happy to receive the flowers and I had the pleasure of sniffing lilacs all the way to school. To this day I love that fragrance but have never had a lilac bush of my own. Maybe this will be the year I plant one. I'm not much of a gardener but I bet I could grow lilacs.

3 comments:

Cat Nap Inn Primitives said...

Kady it is so funny that you mentioned lilacs!!! I have alittle baby tree that we bought last fall and still have yet to plant it..but it is blooming..and I will tell you it brings back such wonderful memories..we had a huge bush in our back yard and I would pick them to put on our dinner table for dinner...the fragrance always takes me back to being a kid...so I just had to buy that little tree..;) thanks for the memories.;)

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

Yep--we had lilac bushes in our yard and they smelled sooo good--memories--now I can only smell them out of doors--if I bring them in I get ill--BOOOO---
I went to a one room school house grades 1-5 and my teachers name was Mrs Beach--and I walked a mile and 1/4 to and from school!!!
Have a good one--
Hugs, Di

vwestermeyer said...

I love lilacs!! When our condo sells and we buy a house that is the first thing we are planting ... a lilac bush.

Lilacs always remind me of my grandmother. She always had some on her table and would carefully take a couple for me and wrap them in a wet paper towel so that I could take them home.