Thursday, June 17, 2010

I FEEL VINTAGE, OH SO VINTAGE

I'm feeling a bit vintage right now. Maybe the everyday aches and creaks of aging are causing me to feel this way. Instead of whining about it, as I often do, I thought I'd post a few photos that make me smile. If I'm going into vintage mode, I might as well enjoy the trip.
A couple weeks ago, on a crafting forum I frequent, there was a brief discussion about crocheted potholder dresses. I love those and have a small collection of them. I use some of the red and white ones to decorate my kitchen tree at Christmas. I'll see if I can find that photo too.

This is my kitchen Christmas tree decorated with some of my childhood baking utensils and red and white crocheted potholders. I found most of them at garage sales and auctions. I love how they look on the red tree. You can click on the photo for a closer look.

This little collection is in my coffee table, under glass. Some of the dishes and baking items were mine when I was a child. The green crocheted potholder dress was made by my grandmother and given to my mom as a gift. Grandma stitched a "C" on the left shoulder of the dress since Mom's name is Christina. I used to change the collection with every season, but now I display it all the time - as a reminder of my "vintage" past. Click on the photo for a closer look.

I'm not sure where I found these, but I loved them as soon as I saw them. I can appreciate the time and effort that goes into making one of these little treasures.

This old crate is hanging in my kitchen. I bought the old coffee tin at an auction, along with other tins in a box. The bottom of the tin is marked, "Old Reliable Coffee". Before I was out of the auction barn, someone had offered me $5 each for a few of the tins. Sold! They were tins I didn't want anyway. I'd only paid $2.00 for the whole box. I found the cute little chicken feeder at a garage sale a few years ago. The old muffin tin is marked "Ovenex" and I've been collecting a few pieces of that since I remember my mom using round Ovenex cake pans for baking. I have her old cake pans and a few other things she used. I love that old stuff.

Vintage can be good!

3 comments:

Cat Nap Inn Primitives said...

Oh my gosh Kady!! I love your kitchen collections and love how you have them displayed..you must show more of your home to me..cause I am loving this little taste you gave me today..:) have a wonderful thursday and yeah vintage is very good .;)

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

We have done it again!!!!! I also have a collection of the little crocheted dresses!!!! I have collected them since the 70's!!! At one time I had a huge collection--but have sorted them out at times and given some to friends!!I often have used a string and hung them up like laundry around my kitchen--or I have a bowl full sitting around someplace---the bowl has to look 'vintage too'!!! One is even one my Mom crocheted when she was young--back when I started to collect them they were only 25 cents --something I could afford at the time!!!
Hugs, Di

Unknown said...

I love old vintage stuff also, and enjoy moving things around, and making everything look new!