Friday, July 2, 2010

MULTI-TASKING

Another Friday has arrived and we're making good use of the day. Since we're having dinner with our daughter and her family tonight, I volunteered to order pizza and make a dessert. Our daughter has provided the last few dinners and I wanted to do something for her this time.
Granddaughter and I are wrapping up another week by doing a little bit of everything today. The gingerman ornaments are drying in the sun after being drenched with yummy smelling cinnamon aroma. We baked Blonde Brownies this morning and made a fudgy peanut butter and vanilla chip frosting for them, then we made our own pattern for a kitty mattress to use in a wicker bed we found at the thrift store yesterday (for only $2.49). The kitties are taking turns lying in it right now. They love new things.
We're doing some laundry today too. When Granddaughter heads home, I want her to have cleanies tucked into her bag. We've cuddled kitties, sewn, baked, crafted, and cleaned up after ourselves. I think we've done very well today. In fact, we've done well for the whole week.

BLONDE BROWNIES - RECIPE TO FOLLOW
BLONDE BROWNIES WITH FUDGY PEANUT BUTTER FROSTING
AND MINI CHOCOLATE CHIPS
BASKET AND PILLOW FOR KITTIES

<------GINGERS BASKING IN THE SUN
* * * * * * * * * * *
IS IT TRUE BLONDIES HAVE MORE FUN?
My sister gave me this recipe in the 70's and I baked these for church carry-in dinners, desserts, and bake sales for years. I recently saw the recipe printed in a magazine and it called for mini chocolate chips to be added to the batter. Now why hadn't I thought of that? Granddaughter and I mixed up a batch of Blonde Brownies this morning and we'll serve them for dessert tonight. I added a peanut butter vanilla chip frosting for which I had no recipe, but since it seemed to have turned out well, I'll share the ingredients for it.

BLONDE BROWNIES (AKA BLONDIES)
INGREDIENTS:
1-1/2 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
1 cup unsalted butter (or margarine)
2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Optional - 1-1/2 cups mini semi-sweet chocolate chips and 1 cup chopped walnuts
DIRECTIONS:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Butter and flour 9” x 13” baking pan. Pour sugar into large bowl. Melt butter/margarine in small pan on stove or in glass measuring cup in microwave. Stir butter into sugar until smooth. Cool to room temperature.
Whisk flour, baking soda, and salt together and set aside. Beat eggs and vanilla into sugar mixture. Add flour mixture a bit at a time and mix until smooth thick batter forms. Fold in chips as desired.
Spoon batter into prepared dish and spread evenly. Bake until light brown around edges and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean - about 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from oven and cool. Sprinkle confectioner’s sugar on top or add frosting if desired. Cut into squares and serve.
FUDGY PEANUT BUTTER FROSTING
I melted about 1/2 cup smooth peanut butter, 3 Tbsp. margarine, and 1/2 cup vanilla chips together, then added 1 tsp. vanilla and approx. 2 cups confectioner's sugar and blended it with a hand mixer. I added a few drops of water to make a spreading consistency. Use more or less confectioner's sugar/water as needed. Spread on cooled Blondies. I put mine in the freezer for about 15 minutes so the frosting would set.

2 comments:

michelle said...

have a great holiday and celebration with your family kady.god bless michelle

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

I knew I smelled something "Yummy"
I really need to come and visit--but we will need to walk a 100 miles every day to walk off all those yummy's you will bake!!!!
Will granddaughter be back????
Have a great week end
Hugs, Di