Friday, November 5, 2010

KEEP ON TRUCKIN'

Last night around 8pm, Chris, my good friend and kindred cat spirit, called and asked if I wanted to take a short trip with her. She's a trucker (I LOVE that she does that) and delivers and/or picks up all sorts of machine parts for use or repair. She's often asked to go out of state on her missions and I think she's one of the bravest people I know. I pretty much live a sheltered life all snug here in my home and I don't always think about those who are on the roads each night. After last evening, I have a greater appreciation for what Chris, and others like her, do for a living.
Her mission last night was to deliver some machine parts to Lima, Ohio, which is roughly an hour and a half from here. I quickly put on my shoes and pulled on a sweater since it was rainy and chilly last night, and off we went. Actually, the road time seemed to go quickly. We talked, I expounded on how frustrating it was to wait on our house deal to go though, and we shared cat stories - one of our favorite things to do.
At the plant in Lima, Chris put on her hardhat, climbed down from the truck, and began to ready her cargo for unloading. There was only one man waiting and ready to help, so she had to unstrap the load herself so the man could pull off the sides of the truck. I stood there like a deer caught in headlights, not knowing how to help or what to do, but within minutes, Chris had finished the task. The man used a forklift to unload the parts and Chris then presented him with the delivery orders to sign. It was obvious she had done this many times.
I was glad she had asked me to ride along and happy to have some time to visit with my friend. Thank you Chris! I truly admire you for what you do. You are Superwoman!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh hecky darn - by your title I thought you were MOVING on down the road to the house. Loved hearing the story of your adventure though.

Cat Haven Craft House said...

Wow! Definitly superwoman! Glad you had a great adventure! A good weekend to you, too!

Cat Nap Inn Primitives said...

glad you were good company to a good friend and that you got to spend time with one another..you don't see many women truckers...you go girlfriend:)

Linda ★ Parker's General said...

good to get away even for a few hours. Glad you got quality time with a dear friend and gained a new appreciation for truckin'.
★Linda★