Wednesday, January 12, 2011

POST-CHRISTMAS STRESS RELIEF

Today my cabin looks exactly as the banner photo shows. I love being out there when it's snowing. The pine trees look as if they have white frosting on them and when I peek at the landscape through my cabin window, it's like looking at a wonderland. I'm very blessed to have this little retreat.
After the Christmas rush was over I took a little time to visit area thrift shops, which are some of my favorite haunts. I'm not usually looking for anything in particular. I just like to browse. If I find something I like, I put it in my cart and think about it awhile before I make a purchase. I'm much more selective than I used to be so sometimes I talk myself out of buying things and walk out of the store empty-handed. That's ok too.
To justify bringing home thrift store treasures, I try to be diligent about letting go of things I no longer use or want. It's not always an easy task, and I admit I don't always follow through very well, but when I succeed, it does equalize the "stuff" (at least that's what I tell myself) and gives me something new without stressing my household budget. Win-win! You can click on the photos for a closer look.
This collection includes a Schoolhouse Quilt pattern book (looks new), brand new Hallmark Christmas planning notebook, gingerbread boy tin with recipe printed on top, small wooden cigar box, and set of handpainted wooden SANTA letters. The square checked tablecloth in the background was also a "found" treasure. I spent $8.22 (incl. tax).
I found all of these at one thrift shop where all Christmas-related items were marked half price - gold round fabric tablecloth (goes perfectly with a white/gold star table topper I have) - Christmas crafting book - vintage Christmas cookbook - two glass jars with hinged lids (I'll use them to store and display vintage sewing notions) - angel cookie mold from the Brown Bag Cookie Co. - angel cookie cutter - snowman cookie cutter - collector cookie press (to add to my small collection). I spent $9.64 (incl. tax).

4 comments:

nancy huggins said...

You got some nice goodies....we just moved here in Oct and I have to find some thrift stores to browse in.
Maybe when the weather gets better we can just start riding around

My Primitive Creations by Tonya said...

Sweet... isn't thrifting just the most fun...Great finds!!

Blessings
Tonya

Linda ★ Parker's General said...

Ahhhhh, a gal after my own heart......
I love a bargain!

Lil Raggedy Angie said...

Gotta love a bargain! Nice Blog , I just started blogging 3 days ago and came across your page and thought I would say Hello. I love your cabin ...ohhhh maybe someday I will have my own. Happy New Year!

Lil Raggedy Angie