Friday, March 25, 2011

CROCK-A-DOODLE-DOO

AN IDEA FROM PATTI OF RASPBERRY LANE PRIMITIVES
ELLIOT GREW TIRED OF CROCK WATCHING AND WENT TO BED
HE DIDN'T WANT TO MISS ANYTHING THOUGH
BLU-PURR CROCK-WATCHED FROM AFAR
RUSTY LIKED THE CROCK BUT NOT THE CAMERA
BAILEY, THE CROCK CUDDLER
CASEY CROCK CUDDLED TOO
AH, THE SMELL OF FRESHLY WASHED POTTERY. THAT'S RUSTY'S FLUFFY TAIL TO THE RIGHT OF THE CROCK.
There's an old Irish saying that goes like this:
"There is a crock of gold in the tomb of every chieftain, but they are all guarded by cats and fairies." ...Unknown Author
We've had a little crock-guarding going on around here today. I took my prized crock, my wonderful thrift store find, to the utility room for a good washing this afternoon. One would have thought I'd taken in a crock of gold and laid it at the feet of my cats. They were curious and wanted to guard it. They looked into it, wrapped paws around it, and even lay down beside it. Perhaps each was trying to claim it in his own way.
I thought one or more of the gang might climb down into the crock but none did. The cats were, however, very interested in what I was doing with it so they took turns sitting on the washer watching me. At one point I left the utility room to get my camera and when I went back to my task, there were three cat toys in the bottom of the crock. I wish I'd thought of getting the camera sooner.
Sometimes I have buyer's remorse after making a thrift store purchase, since I really don't need a thing, but this is one purchase I'm thrilled to have made. I've already found a spot in my livingroom for the crock and have a basket full of primitive dollies on top of it - an idea shared by Patti of Raspberry Lane Primitives. Thank you Patti. That was a great idea and I hope you don't mind that I'm copy-catting it.

5 comments:

Merilyn said...

Cats are funny, they always have to get acquainted with something new that comes into the house!!! It looks as though your new purchase has found its rightful place!!! Hope you are feeling better today!

Anonymous said...

Hi Kady: Thanks for the plug and of course I don't mind sharing ideas...that was the whole idea behind starting my blog...your cats are too cute hangin' around the crock. Love your dollies in the basket on the crock too.
happy crock hunting!!...ps I did see several pottery crocks-cream/tan with blue designs..mostly handmade in the 1990's..may go back and get them...I have a BIG primitive show called peddlers market that I am going to SHOP at tomorrow morning...so stay tuned for some hopeful treasure finds...I took out extra $ for this show!!
patti

Linda ★ Parker's General said...

that is so funny..... guard cats! who knew! at least you got a sliver of your mojo back. it's going to flood over you soon....
★Linda★

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

Oh my what a 'ball' of fur helpers you have there!!! One is enough for me!!! Love your crook--I do collect some of them myself--I have a large one in my kitchen that was my mom's and we used to make pickles in it when I was growing up!!!
Hugs, Di and miss gracie

Constance said...

I think I have a cat toy in everything I own. I like the crock and your babies are so sweet.

Sallie