Thursday, March 10, 2011

ONE WOMAN'S TRASH IS ANOTHER'S TREASURE

YOU CAN ENLARGE THE PICTURE FOR A CLOSER LOOK
Sometimes I can't help stopping to browse at a thrift store or two. I don't want for anything and I have no great needs. I just like to nose around and see what's there. After all, I might be missing something. For the past few weeks I've been gathering gently-used clothing and seldom-used household goods for donation. I took the bags of donated items to the local Goodwill store last week and as a "reward" for clearing out some things, I allowed myself a few minutes to browse. I'm always surprised at the things people discard.
The two patchwork pieces are hand-quilted table runners. One is 6 feet long and the other is 3 feet long. The black, gold, and tan one will look great in the cabin and the pastel one will be a pretty background for Easter decorations. They're in perfect condition.
The raspberry and mauve/pink yarn is brand new - probably intended for a project at one time or another. It will make cozy crocheted shawls.
Even though I have quite a few old wooden spools, I couldn't resist that big glass jar filled with them. I actually found two jars, but I'm using one to hold something other than old spools and forgot to put it with this arrangement. I took some of the spools out of this jar, which was full, and used them as a decoration in another room.
My collection of Brown Bag cookie molds is growing. The one pictured has never been used and in fact, still has the tags on it. One of these days my granddaughter and I are going to get out all the molds I've collected and make shortbread cookies. The recipe appears on the tag.
Once again I was amazed at the treasures I found.

3 comments:

Cat Nap Inn Primitives said...

love the goodies you found..;)

Merilyn said...

What neat little goodies you got yourself today! I love the table-runners and the old spools of cotton thread!!!

My Primitive Creations by Tonya said...

Looks like your trip to the thrift store was a filled with treasured goodies.. I say there is Nothin better then a good day at the thrift store!! Makes the heart sing and puts a soft smile on our face all day long!!

Blessings
Tonya