Tuesday, August 30, 2011

CLEARING THE AIR

SEWING ROOM ISN'T FINISHED BUT IT'S GETTING THERE

SHELVES WITH OLD JARS OF NOTIONS, SPOOLS, AND THREAD

I LOVE HOMESPUN CURTAINS

GUEST ROOM FLOORING - HALF-WAY THERE

THE LITTLE HANDMADE VALANCE WAS FOUND IN A BOX FROM THE GARAGE. YEARS AGO, I USED IT FOR CRAFT SHOW DISPLAYS AND NOW IT HAS A NEW PURPOSE. THE FABRIC HAS VINTAGE JAM JARS PRINTED ON IT.

On Sunday, the humidity here in southwest Ohio finally let up a bit and the time was right to open all the windows in the new old house and let in some fresh air. A gentle breeze flowed through every nook and cranny of the house, allowing curtains to sway as if dancing to a country tune. Living in a rural area is going to feel so much different from living closer to the city. I can count on one hand the number of neighbors here in town whose names I know and who wave or speak as they pass by. At the farm, everybody waves. I'm sure not many of them know or care that we're new to the area. They're simply being friendly. There is a group of avid bikers that wheels by every Sunday afternoon and I can hear them coming from a mile away, talking and laughing. They always wave as they pass the house and I wave back as if I know each one personally. Glenn would love to be a part of that group I'm sure. Before we had any idea of living there, he often biked down the same country lane and was chased by the same dog that chases the Sunday bikers. I learned the dog's name is Blaze and she's the official guardian of the whole farming community. She watches over her owner's cows and sheep and is a legend in the area because of her bravery against marauding coyotes. When I'm leaving the farm, she's often standing beside the road watching all who come and go on her watch. One evening, she was standing in the middle of the road and I was afraid she'd be hit by a car or truck. I rolled down the window to talk to her and she looked at me as if to say she knew what she was doing. She's a Great Pyrenees by breed, and would be a formidable opponent, so I'd rather stay on her good side. I bid her a good night and whispered a little prayer for her safety. I'm looking forward to the day we can sit in our rocking chairs on the old front porch with chilled glasses of iced tea in hand, enjoying the view and waving at passersby.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are truly reaping the rewards for being patient and finding the right place. I'm just jealous, even with all the work you are doing, because it is going to be a wonderful place to be. April

annie said...

Loving all your details!

Robin at The Primitive Hutch said...

Looks like everything is coming along nicely.
Cute post.
Prim Blessings
Robin

Cat Nap Inn Primitives said...

love how your sewing room is coming along and I love your gingham curtains blowing in the breeze.;)

Merilyn said...

Things are moving along nicely by the sounds of it Kady! Your sewing room will be a lovely space, it looks great with the curtains on the windows, very homely! I live in rural community as well, (could not live in town LOL) and I love it that people wave and say g'day, it's a nice way to live!!!!