Monday, October 10, 2011

AND SO IT BEGINS


We had barely begun unpacking the first moving boxes at the farm when a wandering visitor appeared at the door. You don't even have to guess it was a cat - a small black and white cat. Ask me if I need or want another cat. I do not, but this little guy is so friendly, so sweet, and so in need of someone to care for him that I could not look the other way - story of my life. In fact, he made sure I had to address his needs. He took up residence on my front porch. He desperately wanted inside the house but I absolutely could not allow that. The biggest reason for moving to a place with an outdoor building for cats was so my daughter and grandson could come for extended visits again. They are allergic to the furry ones I hold dear, and it's been a highly emotional struggle to truly want my family to be able to come and visit, while knowing there was no way I could possibly find responsible homes for all my adult cats. To some it may seem that I chose the cats over my family, but it's much more complicated than that. Suffice it to say, my family has been tolerant and patient above and beyond anything I had the right to ask of them and I will always be grateful to them for that.

On moving day last Wednesday, I put out a small cage and furnished it with food, water, and some soft rags and put the cat inside it to keep him from going into the house as movers came and went. He seemed to like his makeshift house and has been there every day since the move. It seems to me this little guy had a home at one time. He's much too friendly to have ever been feral. I will never understand why some people toss out their owned cats as if they're disposing of trash.

What I do know is this little guy might have a chance for a loving home. One of my friends, Chris, has a daughter who is owned by one cat named Sara, who is not always open and friendly to other cats. Chris' daughter is willing to introduce the little one to the older and wiser Sara. If she's responsive to him, she may gain a home companion. We're hoping for a positive result. I have a vet appointment for the little guy this afternoon. He'll be checked for feline leukemia, among other things, and if he's pronounced healthy, he'll be on his way to a new and better life. Wish us luck!

P.S. Kitty passed his tests with flying colors. He's now here at the former residence instead of fending for himself outside at the farm. I was feeding him there but he had to spend the days and nights outside and that was a worry for me. I know he's safe now. We're one step closer to placing him in a loving home. If I hadn't already met and/or exceeded my "quota", he'd be mine. At the vet's office, he lay on his back in my arms just watching all that was going on around him. What a sweetie.

6 comments:

Wendy @ Ravenwood Whimzies said...

Your new little friend is so sweet and cute!

Cat Nap Inn Primitives said...

oh these sweet precious little furry ones have a way of finding the "good people" and they know they will be cared for and loved..I hope he is A okay! and finds his forever home with Sara and his mama..;)

Linda ★ Parker's General said...

Those kitties just know instinctively that you are a kind and generous soul with a giant heart. You couldn't turn away an animal in need. It just makes me love you more.
Warm autumn blessings,
★Linda★

annie said...

Hope he is well, and goes to a new home, and the fit works. You probably have a cat magnet attached to your heart and they will come to you, no matter where you are! Love does that! Hope all goes well for you this week!

Merilyn said...

What a precious little sweetie he is!! I just hope your efforts to rehome this little guy goes well, for everyone's sake!!!

Cat Haven Craft House said...

What a sweet boy! He has such charisma. Crossing my fingers that he and Sarah get along just fine.