Wednesday, December 7, 2016

CHRISTMAS EXPRESS

Thanksgiving has passed and I followed through with my Christmas-in-the-Cabin Home Show - held last Saturday. I'm feeling a bit relieved right now, and not yet stressed about Christmas being so close at hand. My hope is to not feel stressed at all this holiday season. 

Thanksgiving was celebrated here on the Saturday after the "real" day, which was just fine and very enjoyable. We had some overnight guests and that was enjoyable as well. Sunday was a leisurely day spent with my niece and her daughter. When Monday came, I was ready to dig in and make final preparations for Christmas-in-the-Cabin. I wasn't expecting to take out almost everything with which I decorate, in order to only display those things I was willing to sell, but I did what was needed. It has happened during previous home shows that visitors wanted to buy the things I used for display. It never ceases to amaze me that they will ask to buy the crates on which I display my items, or they want to purchase the baskets and boxes which hold ornaments for sale. When I go to a show, I assume those kinds of things are display pieces and not available for sale, unless there are price tags on them. Oh well.

At any rate, with my spouse's help, I was able to remove the items I was not willing to sell, and replace them with all the sell-able items. While there was no crowd standing in line at the door waiting to come inside on the day of the show, there was a steady stream of visitors and neighbors who came, chatted, and made purchases. They seemed to enjoy the homemade cookies and peanut butter fudge, the Christmas music, and the warmth of the cabin. I was generally pleased with how it went but will once again need to decide whether or not I will do this again. It's a lot of work and I never know if the fliers and posters I distribute, or the ads on social media, will be enough to let folks know I'm hosting a Christmas show in my cabin. The best thing of all, is that I now have a cozy cabin decorated for the holidays. I'll have it open it every Friday and weekend from now until Christmas. My spouse made a sign to place out by the road and if I receive visitors, that will be great. If I don't, that's ok too. What I know is this: If I saw a little cabin decorated with white lights and a sign that declared, "Christmas in the Cabin - Open Today", I'd surely want to stop,  go inside, and investigate. Maybe others will too.

 
 
 
 
 
 

2 comments:

Merilyn said...

I think your little cabin is just wonderful!!!....and if I saw that sign I would definitely want to stop and enjoy the Christmas atmosphere and goodies inside! Glad to hear you had a good response to your Christmas-in-the-Cabin Home Show, and by the looks of the photos you made a great effort with your beautiful welcoming displays, well done you......
We are sweltering here with temps in the high 90's F, hot days followed by thunder storms and rain that arrive late in the afternoons to cool things down a little. My little gardenia tree is full with blooms, the kitchen and bathroom smell wonderful with their perfume, cut flowers in little vases...
Our little corners of the world so very different, but Christmas is still Christmas, and we all love fairy lights and tinsel no matter where we are.....
I hope you and your family, furry ones included, have a safe and enjoyable Christmas Season and all the very best for New Year.

Kady said...

Your comments are always a joy to read, Merilyn. I fear I have lost most of my followers because I let blogging slide so many times. You, dear friend, are so loyal and I appreciate you for that. I can scarcely believe you are experiencing such hot temperatures. Here, in southwest Ohio, USA, we have perhaps 3 inches of snow on the ground and the temps are in the low 20's. That will change, as it always does. The forecast is for drizzling rain and 50+ degree weather for a day or two. That means all the snow will melt but when the temps dip again, the roads will be slippery and treacherous. I appreciate your kind words regarding my home show. I think to make a real go of it, I need to host one or two each year, as I've often said I wanted to do. I allow so many things to block me from doing that, but I have a new resolve to begin in January to make some new items and try some new things. I'm wondering if a Spring show would draw some interest. I hope you and your family also have a safe and wonderful Christmas Season. THe best to you in the New Year as well!