Friday, September 26, 2008

FINALLY FALL!


I wait for FALL all year long. Once summer is over, I'm ready for cool weather and it can't come soon enough for me. If we could have as much cool crisp Fall weather as we have hot sticky humid weather, I'd be a very happy camper!
Fall colors are so vibrant and beautiful. They simply don't last long enough to suit me. I'm usually a fairly patient person, but not when it comes to waiting for the crisp cool breezes of Fall. Once the calendar shows September, I'm ready to move on from the heat from a long summer - and ALL summers are long to me. When school starts, I think Fall should immediately begin, yet it seems we always have more weeks of humid hot weather throughout the month. I realize what feels hot to me might not feel hot to others. My problem is that I just don't like hot weather!
If I had my way, the seasons would be divided thus: We'd have the cold weather of Winter only in December, January, and February . . . In March, April, and May, we'd have Cool Spring weather . . . We'd have three WHOLE months of Fall in September, October, and November, and there'd be no really warm weather until summer and then it would change to cool weather as soon as September came. As it is, it's too hot for my liking even in May....and it doesn't get very cool until October. So we have warm weather for 5 months (as I see it) and we're lucky if Fall lasts for a few weeks.
In my growing up years, I think the seasons were better defined and I'm sure Fall lasted longer than it does these days. Summers didn't seem to be as hot and when school started, we could look forward to cooler days. So what happened? Some say it's global warning, but others might suggest I simply have a faulty memory. I just know that Fall is my most favorite time of the year and I can't get enough of it.
When Fall finally comes, I love attending outdoor festivals and visiting farm stands ripe with pumpkins, cider, and crispy, crunchy, colorful apples. I love the Fall leaves and colors. I love coming home after a brisk walk in the falling leaves and making soup or baking cookies for my family. I love being snuggly wrapped in a quilt with my granddaughter as we sit in the stands at the high school football game where my grandson performs in the marching band. I love EVERYTHING about Fall, except for the fact it always seems too short. Why, most of the time, it's cold by Halloween and a few times, it was even snowing while the little goblins were going house to house.
Since I can't influence the weather, I'll have to be content with Fall, such as it is. I'll decorate my home and cabin, attend football games and festivals, and savor every single cool breezy day - even if I secretly wish Fall would last all year long.
Here's my original recipe for a mildly spicy Fall chili:


FIESTA CHILI

1 pound ground sirloin (or less) - browned and drained
1 can (15oz.) Brook's Diced/Seasoned Tomatoes for Chili
1 small can (6 oz.) Hunt's Tomato Paste
1 small can (7.5 oz.) Old El Paso Jalapeno Relish (optional)
1 can Bush's Pinto Beans - undrained
1 - 16-oz. jar Pace Mild Thick/Chunky Picante Sauce
1 - 8oz. jar Ortego Mild Taco Sauce

Brown meat, drain, and rinse under hot water. Add other ingredients, then stir thoroughly. Add water if too thick. Simmer on low heat for about half an hour on stove - OR - on low heat in crockpot for 2 to 3 hours. Stir frequently while simmering. Sprinkle shredded cheese on chili
before serving, if desired.

2 comments:

Debra said...

That's exactly how I fell about Fall too!
The chili recipe sounds great-will definitely give it a try!

Kady said...

Debra...I'm so glad I'm not alone in loving FALL. Isn't it the most wonderful time of the year? Thanks for posting your comment! ... Kady