Thursday, October 30, 2008

FALL IS BARELY HERE, YET NEARLY GONE


Can you believe it's the end of October already? It seems like only last week I was wishing for true Fall weather and beautiful colors on the leaves. It's aready a bit cold here in southwest Ohio. We've had only a few days of 50 or 60 degree temperatures. I always forget that Fall weather is so unpredictable. The leaves in my area have turned various shades of gold, but very few are bright red or orange, which are the colors I love.
Today was the last day of the local Farmer's Market in the Moose Lodge parking lot. I stopped by to see if I could find some late summer vegetables and Amish homemade jam. I was disappointed to find only three vendors there, instead of the 12 or so that are usually selling farm fresh products. I saw an array of pumpkins, gourds, and baked breads, but there was nothing I needed or wanted.
After being disappointed at the Farmer's Market, I decided to take a drive to the forest preserve in the next town over from mine. On my way, I stopped at a quaint shop called Jailhouse Primitives. Seeing so many primitive handmade items caused me to want to get busy on some projects of my own, so that was a good thing. I bought a wonderfully scented candle there (called Candy Cane) and was given information about the shop's Christmas open house two weekends from now.
The drive through the preserve was relaxing and the leaves were vibrant colors of gold, red, and orange. The sun was shining through the trees and I felt as if I finally had a bit of Fall to embrace. As I drove home, I was happy that I'd taken time to enjoy a little bit of this season before it was gone.

No comments: