Friday, January 23, 2009

SOUP DAY

My spouse's office staff decided to hold a "soup day" and asked workers who were interested, to bring in pots of soup for sharing at lunchtime. Lunch was to commence at noon today and I'm hoping the soup I sent with Spouse this morning was enjoyed. I'd asked if I should make chilli and Spouse said he thought potato soup would be good. So potato soup it was. I thought I'd share the recipe (my own concoction) if any of you might be interested in making it. It's great for cold days. This makes a full crockpot of soup.

Kady's Cheddar Potato Soup

8 -10 small to medium potatoes - cooked, peeled, and chopped
3 cups milk (I use skimmed milk and if I have it, Carnation fat-free evap. milk)
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1/4 cup shredded hot pepper cheese (if you want a little "bite" to the soup)
1/2 tsp. parsley flakes
pinch of ground black pepper, chili powder, and paprika
1 cup diced ham (optional)

Cook potatoes, cool them, then peel and chop all but one. Mash the one and add it to the pot with the chopped pieces for thickening. Add onion and cheese. Stir often until cheese is melted. This is where I sometimes add the 1/4 cup of hot pepper cheese for flavor. Add spices and continue stirring over medium heat. Once cheese is melted, turn heat to simmer and add ham if desired. You can simmer the soup in a crockpot (low setting) or on the stove for about 30 minutes until serving time.

2 comments:

Shelley said...

This sounds really good! If I don't use the hot pepper cheese - should I just increase the amount of the sharp cheddar cheese?

Kady said...

Hi Shelley,

If you want a more cheesy flavor, add about 3 slices of American cheese (I often use the 2%) to the soup. It'll be smooth and flavorful. I only add the hot pepper cheese 'cause we like things a bit spicy. Let me know if you make it.....Kady