Saturday, November 7, 2009

SOME DEEDS GO UNPUNISHED

For the past three days I've been calling authorities and waiting for my calls to be returned. I'm not the most patient person in the world if I have to wait very long. Yesterday, as directed by the Humane Society cruelty investigator, I called Ohio State University School of Veterinary Medicine in Columbus, Ohio to ask about having Grayson checked for antifreeze poisoning. I received some information today but it wasn't very positive.

First, we don't know when Grayson died. The longer he was lying in the woods, the less chance of the tests being accurate. Second, even if he tested positive for antifreeze, I would have to prove the connection between the cat and the antifreeze in the animal killer's yard. Grayson would have had to succumb in the yard, close to the pan of poison in order to make that connection.
Third, if the test results were inconclusive, I'd have no proof at all.

Columbus is two hours from here, so in order to get the cat tested, I'd be making a 4-hour trip, spending $75, not counting gasoline, and making another 4-hour trip to retrieve the results since Ohio State does not send them through the mail. All of this would be useless since there would still not be enough evidence for a
uthorities to arrest the man who is killing cats. If this procedure would be the nail in his coffin (figuratively speaking of course), I'd do it in the blink of an eye, but I've come to the realization it won't help anything. I already know in my heart Grayson was poisoned, and that the man did it. I'd rather spend the time and the funds to help living cats. No one wants this man to face consequences more than I do, but I have to be realistic about it.
I decided to ask Spouse to bury Grayson and am working on embracing the fact this man will go unpunished (at least in this life) for his evil deeds and will probably put out poison again after the uproar dies down. Next time he will be even more sneaky about it, but I'll be more vigilant.

2 comments:

Cat Nap Inn Primitives said...

Oh I hate hearing this...but you are right...just keep an eye out for him..maybe the next door can set up a camera on his house to watch him 24/7...at least Grayson can rest in peace now...that he gets a proper buriel...

Blondie ~ Vintage Primitives said...

This is infuriating.
RIP Grayson.
Good luck Kady. Perhaps now that it is out in the open with the others in the neighborhood aware that they are not the only one to have lost a pet, they will join you in the search for truth, exposure and punishment.
Michael Vick isn't the only animal abuser out there.