Tuesday, October 19, 2010

AWESOME CARAMEL APPLES

I've been so busy with Tucker and fretting about our derailed moving experience that I've been oblivious to the fruits of Fall, my favorite season of the year. I found this awesome looking recipe for Caramel Apples and thought I'd share it. I haven't made them yet, but the recipe seems easy. Doesn't this look like a perfect thing to make this Fall? I especially like the fact there are no little caramels to upwrap. Here's the recipe:

Ingredients:
1 cup butter (no substitutes)
2 cups packed
brown sugar
1 cup
light corn syrup
1 (14 ounce) can
sweetened condensed milk
2 teaspoons
vanilla
8 -10 wooden sticks
8 -10 medium
tart apples
Chopped peanuts (or nuts of choice)
Directions:
1 Insert 1 wooden stick into each apple.
2 In a heavy saucepan, combine the butter, brown sugar, corn syrup and milk; bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
3 Cook and stir until a candy thermometer reads 248 degrees (firm ball stage) about 30-40 minutes and for a softer caramel cook just to a few less degrees.
4 Remove from heat; stir in vanilla.
5 Dip each apple into hot caramel mixture; turn to coat.
6 Holding by the stick, sprinkle with nuts or whatever you desire while the caramel is still warm (work quickly the caramel sets up fast).
7 Set on generously buttered wax paper to cool (make sure to generously butter the paper).
8 Note: if making a double recipe make two recipes in two separate pots.

4 comments:

Cat Nap Inn Primitives said...

I like your idea of not having to open little wrappers.:)

Linda ★ Parker's General said...

What do you mean derailed? Did I miss something?
★Linda★

Cat Haven Craft House said...

Hi Kady,
Are you not moving then? Thanks for the recipe. Hug Tucker for me!

Debbie said...

The caramel apples look delicious! I imagine they really taste great with the homemade caramel.

Hope you have a great day!

Debbie K