Thursday, February 3, 2011

POPCORN PARTY



The weather is still frigid here in southwest Ohio but it could certainly be worse. We're blessed to have a warm home and electricity. I worry about people who have to work in the elements, the homeless in temporary shelters, and all the animals left outside to fend for themselves. Some are naturally outdoor creatures, but I pray those owners who leave domestic animal outdoors will amply provide for them during these cold days. I leave food out daily for any strays that might wander my way and I feed the birds, but today I ran out of birdseed. Our roads are still very icy so I'm staying inside thinking up ways to provide for the birds in the backyard. They're used to coming here for food and I don't want to disappoint them.
I've stored unpopped popcorn in the pantry for quite awhile but we rarely use the hot air popper these days. Microwave popcorn is quicker. I took out the popcorn a little while ago and decided to pop it for all the birds shivering in the trees right now. I wasn't sure it would even pop since it had been stored for so long, but I needed to give the birds SOMEthing to eat. So, pop corn I did.
I was pleased with the results and I think the birds were too. So now I have a reserve of popped corn for them. It should last until I can get out and buy birdseed. I checked online to make sure popcorn is ok for birds, and it is, as long as it's popped. Let's party!

6 comments:

Lee Prairie Designs said...

Yummmmm! My favorite! Lucky birds. Beautiful pictures.

Carolyn :)

Sabrina @Falling Leaf Woodworkers and Primitives said...

That is sweet of you...I too feed my birds through out the winter.. they are always so happy to come to the feeder and find yummy food. I would have never thought of popcorn but I am making a mental note... I have run out of seed and been at a loss as to what to give them.
Love the first picture, the red of against the white snow is amazing
Sabrina

Merilyn said...

You will definitely get a crown in heaven, for your compassion and love and care of all creatures! The birds in your area are very lucky indeed. I have heard about the terrible wintry conditions in the US, I coudn't imagine how cold that would be, here we are sweltering and up north in Queensland people have endured a Category 5 cyclone. I really don't know what is happening to our weather, it's definitely all out of shape! Take care! I hope you can get out and about soon!

Cat Nap Inn Primitives said...

oh Kady, I have been thinking of all the little homeless babies with all this nasty snow everyone is having and praying that they will have safe warm dry place to sleep and good food to eat...and you are taking such good care of the babies where you are.:)

Linda ★ Parker's General said...

I never thought of that. I throw out all the old bread and rolls and chips but popcorn would be good, too.
One problem, my little dogs love popcorn, too.
★Linda★

Henrietta said...

Lovely picture of the cardinal, thank you for sharing it.