Friday, October 12, 2012

CALICO ROXIE

The days and weeks seem to get away from me and then I realize I haven't made time to post anything to this blog. It's not as if I can't think of anything to say....I ALWAYS have lots to express, but I fear I'll bore everyone to pieces if I share all that goes on around here. The past two weeks have been very emotional ones for me. I lost a beloved furry friend, yet was also dealing with workers coming and going in and out of the house, large trucks in the driveway, and literally tons of digging equipment in the backyard. I'll explain all of that at another time. 
 SAMANTHA AND ROXIE WERE BEST OF FRIENDS
All of you know how much I love my cats and it worries me when one of them isn't doing well. For a few weeks, my calico, Roxie, had been steadily losing weight and I was becoming more alarmed by the day. My best guess is that she was around 13 or 14 years old. She seemed to be eating well, drinking enough water, and using the litter box consistently, but her "spark" was gone. She was no longer climbing the beams in the barn or running and playing with the other cats. I took her to the vet and learned she had pneumonia and possibly some sort of lung obstruction. No wonder she wasn't feeling well. I brought her home and began giving her the prescribed antibiotics, but then she decided to not eat anything. I fretted over her all last week, while fixing everything I could think of to entice her to eat and drink, but she simply would not touch a thing. She always followed me all over the cat room though, and I held her as often as she wanted me to. I made more frequent visits to the barn and for two nights in a row, checked on her around the clock. I even made a little "nest" for her on the couch to be sure she was warm and cozy. She didn't appear to be in any pain. This past Monday morning something was different. I could see it in her eyes and I knew it was time to let her go. I absolutely hate making that decision and actually prayed that she would just go to sleep and not awaken, if she couldn't get better. Of course that didn't happen. I called the vet, who graciously made room for us in her schedule. I held Roxie for about 30 minutes in the vet's office before we let her go. Roxie's last gesture was to reach up and gently place her paw on my chin. She and I looked into each other's eyes as I told her I loved her and that she had been such a good kitty. She passed very quietly and peacefully there in my arms. I brought her home and Glenn sweetly consented to bury her beside the barn where her brothers, Dustin and Cody, rest. She truly had a good life with us. I only regret we had not yet built the cat enclosure I'd promised her. She surely would have loved being outdoors, but safe. I'm at peace knowing she's not suffering. I want to believe she's with all the kitties that have passed from my arms and my life. They will always have places in my heart. Rest well my sweet Roxanne. 

4 comments:

Michelle said...

So sorry to hear about Roxie, but I know what you mean when you know. I am glad she showed you her love with her last gesture!

honeycreekprims said...

Brings tears to my eyes as I recall going through this more than once. She was a beautiful calico. God Bless you as you heal from this loss.

honeycreekprims said...

Brings tears to my eyes as I have been there. It's hard to let them go. She was a beautiful calico.

Barbara said...

Oh my! Just read about Roxie and balling my eyes out. A week and half ago, we made the heartbreaking decision to allow our "Callie" to rest and have peace. She was a pastel calico, and I'm sure, like Roxie, was so very sweet. She too had lost weight and just kept going downhill...She was still eating, drinking and using the litter box...but soon, she went to the litter box, but might go inside or just outside..She had lost most of her vision and was hard of hearing and had long lost her curiosity about anything other than her cozy chair, where she spent most all her time. After 15 years, life just got too hard for her to hang on. Though the decision was nothing new,, it was still sooooo hard! I cry everyday and miss her so! There is such an empty feeling in this house. After many, many pets, we have decided to remain 'pet free'. Life is getting too hard for us too, and I just don't think I can handle another heartbreak like losing Callie. She is resting near our other beloved pets now..I long for the day when instead of tears, I can enjoy the memories Callie left with us. Blessings to you in your loss...