Wednesday, January 21, 2015

SPRING FEVER?

Today I finally finished putting away ALL the Christmas and holiday decorations. Yes, I procrastinated. I admit it. I've been having some relaxing days since Christmas and haven't yet gotten back into routines. I might explain that my routines, as such, haven't actually been the same since my spouse retired. I will just say it's been a huge adjustment for us both and we've not completely settled into this new way of life. Anyway, we left trees up and lights glowing long after Christmas because we were enjoying them, but all good things must eventually come to an end, so we began to "undecorate" and tuck everything into our little Christmas closet. It's filled to the brim again, but everything is tidy and all boxes are labeled.

Why did it take me so long to get everything sorted and put back into storage? I had so much more to do this year than in previous years. I had handcrafted items and lots of garlands and small trees displayed here in my front room, which doubled as my "shop" during home shows. All of that had to be packed away, along with table coverings and collections of vintage toys and bears which graced the area beneath my primitive tree. For the last two weeks I've been dealing with a small amount each day but I finally realized I needed to spend more time packing up my items if I was ever going to see the end of the task. Yesterday and today were the appointed days and I worked at it until it was done. Whew! It surely is more fun to pull things out and display them, than it is to put them back into storage.

So . . . what's next? I had a fleeting thought of hosting a home show before Valentine's Day so I could make lots of primitive hearts to sell. When I checked the calendar to see how much time I'd have before an early February show, I decided to aim for the Spring and Easter season instead. I'll have to overlook Valentine's Day this year.  I'm trying to find incentive to sew again. Rummaging through patterns and decorating magazines is helping in that endeavor. A call this morning from the local veterinarian's office jarred me into reality and I now have dozens of catnip toys in the works. The vet knows I have rescued cats and she consented to selling my handmade cat toys in her clinic, to help with the costs of spaying, neutering, and vaccinating the cats.  The clinic is completely out of catnip toys! So there's some incentive to get me started.  After I finish the cat toy order, I'll decide which Spring and Easter items I'll make and how to display them.

Maybe my routines will take care of themselves.  

No comments: