Monday, September 19, 2016

FALL IS NEARLY HERE




Fall is my favorite time of year. There only thing I dislike about it is that it's entirely too brief. Here in southwest Ohio, Fall weather doesn't actually arrive until early October (though I think it should begin to be cooler as soon as we turn the calendars to September). 

We've endured another long hot season and my wish would be for Fall to last as long as Summer does. More often than not, after Fall arrives, we are able to enjoy about two or three weeks of beautiful weather and colorful leaves. Then somewhere around the end of October, usually at Halloween time, we experience a cold rain which knocks most of the leaves off the trees and brings chilling temperatures. Perhaps my memory is faulty, but when I was a child, it seemed to me the seasons were better defined and each year we actually had a Fall season.

At this point, after all the heat and humidity, I'll take any cooler weather that comes my way. I realize it's not "officially" Fall yet, but this year, I'm going to be ready for it. Last weekend I traveled to Arcanum, Ohio and visited Suttons, a local grocery store. I love shopping there since they often have fresh fruits and vegetables set up in farmers-market-style outdoor bins. When I inquired, I was told the store managers purchase as much produce as they can from local farmers and I love that. I was able to chose from reasonably priced pumpkins, gourds, and Indian corn with which to decorate the cabin porch and the side porch of the house. Come on Fall......I'm ready.

1 comment:

Merilyn said...

The change of season is upon us here too!! Only thing is it's warming up a little. We've just come out of a very mild winter, not long enough really....and it's Spring now.
I recently planted some little pansies in a corner of my herb garden, and with some of the gentle Spring rain recently, they are coming along very nicely. My beautiful 'Pride of India' tree out the front has only a few more leaves to loose before new buds appear, the Liquid Amber in the side yard is already showing new life....and my 'Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow' bush is full of wonderful smelling flowers.....
Because you guys had a long hot summer, I am dreading ours.... whatever you've had, we will get.....we've already had a few humid days, and the flannette sheets, feather doona and two of my winter quilts will be coming off the bed soon enough, being traded for cotton and a light quilt. I enjoy the snuggly part of winter, but it really wasn't long enough this year.
The dogs have had their tick/flea treatments already, it's been a bad start this year according to the local vet clinics, and early treatment is advised. I felt one on myself, after being in the garden....so they are out there......The cat 'Mini' is an indoor/verandah girl, she's safe......
I love your Autumn decorations, the wonderful shapes of the gourds etc, and the way you all do seasonal decorations.....it's not been an Aussie thing to do.....but I do appreciate seeing the efforts you ladies make in decorating your homes this way......Spring and Autumn are my favourite seasons too, and no....they are definitely not long enough......take it easy.....