Tuesday, November 9, 2010

MOVIN' ON DOWN THE ROAD...FOR REAL

Monday afternoon I received the call for which I'd been waiting, hoping, and praying. I've shared that Spouse and I found a house we wanted to purchase but on September 29th, at the very last minute, the seller refused to come to the closing and we were left without answers. We were sitting at the closing table in the title office, waiting for the seller, when word came he wasn't going to show.
We waited for weeks without any word about what was happening. We had packed lots of things, sold some furniture, sent change-of-address notices, told all our family and friends we'd be moving, and even took in a couple more neighborhood strays I'd already had spayed and neutered, since we "knew" we would have room for them in our new cat barn. All our plans came to a screeching halt on the evening of September 29th. We were stunned and didn't know where to go from there.
After weeks with no word from the seller and no remedy in sight, we contacted a lawyer who sent a letter to the seller, demanding he do something toward completing the sale of house. The seller was given the deadline of November 8th to do something. The last two weeks of waiting were stressful to say the least. Why the seller and his lawyer didn't respond until the last minute, I don't know. It seems an odd way to do business, but our lawyer was finally able to obtain a response and a promise of action from the seller, who assured that he was willing and anxious to sell us the house.
So....we've been offered the option to lease the house and property until the time the seller is untangled from some finanacial obligations to his lender - which apparently was the main reason the seller refused to come to the closing. Things might have gone a little better had the seller come to the closing and laid out the facts for us. We wouldn't have been thrilled at the delay, but we surely would have had some answers for why our house deal was cancelled and I feel sure we would have been sympathetic.
Our lawyer is drawing a lease agreement right now and we could have it in-hand by as early as tomorrow. We could begin moving into the house as soon as the lease is signed and we're handed the key. All the payments we make during the leasing of the house will go toward the purchase price at the closing. We won't be losing any more money and we'll actually be in the house by Thanksgiving, which was our original goal. We'll probably need to put new carpeting on hold since we'll be leasing and I don't know how much we'll be able to do to the house and cat barn. I don't think there will be any problem from the seller's corner this time. He knows he didn't approach the situation in the best manner and I imagine he'd be willing to go along with whatever we wanted to do. Regardless, we're happy but still a bit cautious since we've been stung once....
I still think I'm dreaming here. It's as if we've been walking through a fog since the end of September. I realize this is not a completed transaction yet and I also know we have a world of work ahead of us - not only packing and moving things to the new house, but also getting this house ready to be put up for sale. I think we're ready to tackle it though. Thank you Lord!

13 comments:

GailinVirginia said...

Dear Kady and hubby,
YOu are so deserving of this latest news...you have made me smile a big happy smile...I love my friends being treated well...
God bless,
Be well and keep "packing"
note to Tucker:be nice and try to say out from underfoot...
hugs,Gail

Loafer Mountain Primitives said...

That's got to be a real nail biter!
Hope it works out for you.
Tisha

Unknown said...

Have a bless Thanksgiving in your new home!

Cat Nap Inn Primitives said...

oh Kady so glad you finally got some answers and are moving into your home..does this mean you will keep little Tucker? I hope he gets to stay with you...and I can't wait to see your new home..wish I could be there to help you unpack etc.;) keep us posted.:)

Cat Haven Craft House said...

Dear Kady! Wonderful news! I know you are some glad to finnaly have some resolution! Do you think you will able to have a real Thanksgiving at your new home? Does Tucker get to live with you now??? I hope?

Debbie said...

I am so glad you got such great news. May this Thanksgiving be the first of many, many more that you spend there!

*hugs*
Debbie

Constance said...

Hi Kady,
I'm so glad this is working out. I wish you the very best and I know little Tucker will help with the packing. I hope he stays with you, there is no doubt that he's right at home. Best wishes!!

Sallie

Linda ★ Parker's General said...

Oh, Kady! I am super delighted to hear this! Happy days ahead! There will be happy kitties all over!
Lease with the option to buy in the interim!? I am just happy that you are happy. Pictures all along the way, OK?
★Linda★

cynthia lee designs said...

I so glad to hear that you will be moving into your new house. Hope the upcoming holidays are extra special there this year!
~Cindy~

Anne-Lise at Rag, Tag, Bobtail said...

So glad things are working out for you now! Hope the rest of the move goes smoothly.

Sandi said...

so glad you're going to have the house you've been hoping for!

I guess it is meant to be your home :)

Carmen and the Primcats said...

Great news!!!

I have a question though. Are you taking your cabin????

Carmen and the Primcats

Donna said...

What a strange way for the seller to deal with a problem! But I'm glad that a good solution is being worked out and you can go ahead and move in before Thanksgiving! Best wishes to you.