Monday afternoon I received the call for which I'd been waiting, hoping, and praying. I've shared that Spouse and I found a house we wanted to purchase but on September 29th, at the very last minute, the seller refused to come to the closing and we were left without answers. We were sitting at the closing table in the title office, waiting for the seller, when word came he wasn't going to show.
We waited for weeks without any word about what was happening. We had packed lots of things, sold some furniture, sent change-of-address notices, told all our family and friends we'd be moving, and even took in a couple more neighborhood strays I'd already had spayed and neutered, since we "knew" we would have room for them in our new cat barn. All our plans came to a screeching halt on the evening of September 29th. We were stunned and didn't know where to go from there.
After weeks with no word from the seller and no remedy in sight, we contacted a lawyer who sent a letter to the seller, demanding he do something toward completing the sale of house. The seller was given the deadline of November 8th to do something. The last two weeks of waiting were stressful to say the least. Why the seller and his lawyer didn't respond until the last minute, I don't know. It seems an odd way to do business, but our lawyer was finally able to obtain a response and a promise of action from the seller, who assured that he was willing and anxious to sell us the house.
So....we've been offered the option to lease the house and property until the time the seller is untangled from some finanacial obligations to his lender - which apparently was the main reason the seller refused to come to the closing. Things might have gone a little better had the seller come to the closing and laid out the facts for us. We wouldn't have been thrilled at the delay, but we surely would have had some answers for why our house deal was cancelled and I feel sure we would have been sympathetic.
Our lawyer is drawing a lease agreement right now and we could have it in-hand by as early as tomorrow. We could begin moving into the house as soon as the lease is signed and we're handed the key. All the payments we make during the leasing of the house will go toward the purchase price at the closing. We won't be losing any more money and we'll actually be in the house by Thanksgiving, which was our original goal. We'll probably need to put new carpeting on hold since we'll be leasing and I don't know how much we'll be able to do to the house and cat barn. I don't think there will be any problem from the seller's corner this time. He knows he didn't approach the situation in the best manner and I imagine he'd be willing to go along with whatever we wanted to do. Regardless, we're happy but still a bit cautious since we've been stung once....
I still think I'm dreaming here. It's as if we've been walking through a fog since the end of September. I realize this is not a completed transaction yet and I also know we have a world of work ahead of us - not only packing and moving things to the new house, but also getting this house ready to be put up for sale. I think we're ready to tackle it though. Thank you Lord!